As it happened my 1978 six month solo sojourn across Canada in 1978 was just a prelude to a longer, and somewhat more exotic, trip. In November of 1978, as the days and nights grew colder, it was clear that continuing to camp in Canada, as beautiful as Canada may be, was not going to be comfortable – or fun. But the Canada trip had really just whetted my appetite for travel. I’d started on the road to discovering Canada – and myself – but I wanted to keep going. I’d decided to go to South America. I was disappointed, but not surprised, at how little support I received from family and friends for this travel adventure. Some were concerned for my safety. I heard countless warnings of the lawlessness in Central and South America, the muggings and murders, and the duplicity and complicity of the police, who commonly extorted money from anyone they apprehended. I was warned, repeatedly, of the risk of being m...
How did I get here when I was on my way to Riobamba? That’s the story of the left-behind (or stolen?) camera, of a beautiful but non-stop bus-ride from Cuenca right through Riobamba, to Quito. The highlight of this ride was catching a glimpse of Ecuador’s highest mountain, Mt. Chimborazo. Note: Chimborazo is actually the highest mountain on earth, if measurements are made from the earth’s center to the top. To read more about Chimborazo, from someone who climbed it, go to: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/jan/23/mountain-climbing-chimborazo-ecuador It’s also the story of an all-day wait at the tourist office there, where I went to report the missing camera in the hopes that someone there might be able to track it down.... But they couldn’t call the hotel in Cuenca because the phones weren’t working (of course). And the story of my decision to go to Columbia while I had the chance to go with a reliable...
Comments
Post a Comment